And while everyone at June 14’s Cairns Airport IRONMAN Cairns may find themselves turning to their own version of God during the day, only one out there has the big man upstairs on speed dial.
Mt Eliza local Paul Carr spends his days training to become an Anglican priest and training for IRONMAN, aiming for Cairns to be his fourth.
“I pray for everyone that overtakes me, so that's a lot of folk getting prayed for out there,” he said. “I also seem to pray a lot harder for those aid stations to come closer when I pass the 20km marker on the run leg.”
Carr has spent much of his life working in mental health psychiatry, but felt a strong call to go into ministry a number of years ago.
He’s now in the final stages of formal theological training for ordination in the Anglican Diocese in Melbourne.
He believes that IRONMAN can teach us much about life and that race day bears a strong correlation to his work in the priesthood;
· Both require a huge investment in time
· You know there's an amazing gift that awaits over the finish line
· You will run the race and give everything your soul can possibly give
· You make sacrifice along the way
· There is a price to be paid
· You must be disciplined - physically, mentally, and spiritually
· You will get one day off a week, if you're lucky!
· There are times you’ll be lonely
· Sometimes you'll shout out "why am I doing this?", but that still small voice inside reminds you why
· Not everyone will agree with you, or recognise what you do
· There will be countless people around you, who love and support you
· You won't always know it, but you will make a big difference to someone's life
“Like life, it’s a long journey to travel, there will be twists and turns in your road, it may even end prematurely, but the excitement and thrill of something so special is worth every bit of pain!”
IRONMAN race day will see over 3,000 age group athletes chasing their own personal bests.
The Cairns Airport Adventure Festival, incorporating the Cairns Airport IRONMAN Cairns | Flight Centre Active Travel IRONMAN 70.3 Cairns, will be held from Sunday, June 7 – Monday, June 15, 2015.
For event information visit www.ironmancairns.com
Courtesy: Ironman Asia-Pacific.