As the sun rose over the water at picturesque Port Macquarie athletes were greeted with racing conditions as close to perfect as they could hope for.
A cool morning, water temp of 19 degrees and a forcast for a top of 23 degrees with only a slight breeze meant Port Macquarie was giving athletes every opportunity to achieve their goals.
The pro mens race looked like it was going to be an easy win for Josh Amberger as he was off the bike with a handy lead but Brad Kahlefeldt wasted no time in taking big chunks out of Ambergers lead with Alex Reithmeier in tow.
Amberger with Royds (TO) trying to keep up
Kahlefeldt (pictured above) ran out of real estate and Amberger took the title by only 40 seconds
Alex Reithmeier (above) hanging on for third.
In the womens race Radka Vodikova (below) lead from tape to tape in a dominat display. The fight for the minor placings went to the wire though, with the next three women swapping places during the run. Madeline Oldfield eventuallly managed to secure second with Lisa Marangon outsprinting Anna Russell for third.
Mens Top 5
1. AMBERGER, Josh AUS 03:55:27
2. KAHLEFELDT, Brad AUS 03:56:01
3. REITHMEIER, Alex AUS 03:59:52
4. APPLETON, Sam AUS 04:00:33
5. MUNRO, Casey AUS 04:01:08
Womens Top 5
1. VODICKOVA, Radka CZE 04:30:40
2. OLDFIELD, Madeleine AUS 04:38:10
3. MARANGON, Lisa AUS 04:39:21
4. RUSSELL, Anna NZL 04:39:26
5. FLEMING, Jessica AUS 04:40:05
....and then there were Trannys...